Monday, June 1, 2015

A Serene Adventure

After scanning the ticket my path is already determined for me as there is only one road. As a result my journey is very structured at the archeological site of Ostia Antica. While the ruins are magnificent they do not intimidate me, which is different from most of the monumental ruins in the heart of Rome. I feel like a welcomed guest after my first few steps. The surrounding area appears very utilitarian, as I see a Piazza on my left and baths on my right. Although the space is pragmatic there is underlying sense of wealth and even luxury. The mosaics from the Baths of Neptune illustrate beautiful mythic themes while being surrounding by barracks and stores. There is the sense of relaxation and intrigue throughout the space. I believe this is what the architects planned, to give this area realms of entertainment and wealth while still demonstrating its purpose: residency. This gave off a very different vibe than Rome because this space felt lived in and down to earth. It was also very interesting to experience the transition between the ancient world and the modern one while still remaining at the archeological park. In the back of the site there is a café and the moment I entered it the tone and mood around me changed dramatically. I was no longer relaxed or a guest, I was just a number in line. Everyone was moving quickly and was very annoyed from what I witnessed. The peace and gradual pace I had been enjoying for the past hour had evaporated on the modern concrete. When I was finally able to detach myself from the contemporary ambiance I was once more transported back in time. I then took my time sitting on the steps of the theater and attempted to absorb the ancient relics the past left for us to find.

Ostia Antica

May 31st

No comments:

Post a Comment