Friday, June 5, 2015

Ciao For Now

So what have the Romans ever done for us? For those of you who are big Monty Python fans (like myself) you will have recognized my whimsical title since the beginning. But as I draw the conclusion to my Roman adventure I would like to reflect on this question; specifically what has Writing and Reading Rome done for us. Prior to this trip I had never left the United States before, I had never been on a plane for more than two and a half hours, I had never tried to speak Italian, and I had never had a nutella croissant! (The horror). This experience changed me in more ways than I thought possible. It not only enhanced my critical academic skills but it also broadened my horizons. During the academic semester our class essentially studied the entire history of Rome. We had been adding layers to the city during our course, levels of time, religion, art, and social constructs, but the thought of all this accumulating in the modern city was something I just could not wrap my head around. But when we took our first walk around Rome on the Janiculum hill, I noticed so much more than just the stunning architecture: I understood the layout. Everything began to click. It wasn’t that I needed to remember every fact, that was never the point, but all the overarching themes came together. As the days passed I felt more and more attached to the city, I was not tourist. I knew to when to walk, even if it looked like cars were coming, I knew how to use the metro like a pro, and I knew that nutella-flavored gelato was heaven.  Leaving the city was incredibly difficult for me, as I had become a part of the ancient site in a way I never thought I would. When I was walking along the Tiber on our last day I realized this was my opportunity to say, not goodbye, but see you soon. After this event I knew that traveling has to become a part of my life.
            I knew a decent amount of the students who were going on the seminar with me, but I never could have imagined the bond that developed between all of us. From day one and everyday after, we had these huge group dinners – family dinners. Thanks to our phenomenal peer mentor, Sarah Breitenfeld, we had delicious meals and became comfortable ordering in Italian. I laughed so much with everyone I think I added ten years to my life. Seeing students in an academic setting can only bring friendships so far, but being thrown into a foreign city connects you like nothing else. I can honestly say I learned new things about my friends everyday, and not an hour went by that I didn’t smile. I am going to miss the seniors so incredibly much it hurts, but I know that our paths will cross again soon. Who knows maybe we will have a reunion in Rome one day!
            This trip hit every point on the spectrum of emotions, from pure unadulterated joy (presenting at the Ara Pacis) to vivid infuriation (waiting in line for Saint Peter’s Basilica – in a thunderstorm). And even though my feet ached like never before, never once did I want to complain. Throughout the entire journey I felt like one of the luckiest people alive, I was in Rome with 24 friends for crying out loud! Our two professors were experts (one in Classics and the other Religion), and our brilliant peer mentor had lived in Rome. We had so many resources at our disposal it was insane. This opportunity allowed me to engage Rome in a way not many people are able to. Between the knowledge we acquired in class to our professors endless wisdom to our own experiences I was able to see the Eternal city in a new light. Rome, and Italy for that matter, was no longer some faraway land that I only read about in textbooks – I lived there for almost three weeks! It felt like a fantasy to me, but now I was a part of the story. Rome was no longer a place to study history, but a part of my personal history.
            So what have the Romans every done for us? Other than the obvious: roads, education, aqueducts, and wine. It personally gave me another place of the world that I was able to call home, if only for a short amount of time. Rome has given me life long friends, exceptional professors, and unparalleled memories that I will cherish for the rest of my life. And the best part is, this adventure is only the beginning.
            “Ciao”



No comments:

Post a Comment